Tuesday, February 19, 2013

$31,000 gone!

 
Almost three years ago to the month, Andrew and I started building our little home that would help us get out of debt. We had no idea of the sacrifice and hardship ahead. We thought it would be a "romantic" adventure. Just us, in our newly built home, in the woods secluded from all else. Romance quickly left as we found the difficulties in what we were trying to do. We gave up, so we could gain. As humans we don't do that well. We were secluded and felt alone in our "romantic adventure".
 
 
 
At first it seemed like we would never get out of debt. As we wrote all of our bills down on paper we realized that our bills consumed almost all of our income. Individually we had both made foolish mistakes with our finances. Evaluating the mountain of debt we were attempting to tare down seemed impossible!
 
Together we looked at our mountain... Andrew with optimism, and I with Little less than optimism. $54,000!!!
 
About nine months into our journey, we had close two $8,000 paid off! Then something happened which meant we had only a short time to pay off another big chunk before a third of our income was gone!
 
 
 
A year and a half sooner than we had planned, we found out we were pregnant! Excited, but wondering how we would make this work with our goals?!? Over the next nine months we paid off another huge portion of debt. I was pregnant, and had no mind to even think to keep track of how much exactly... but it was a good portion.
 
My heart broke alittle...
 
(My pregnancy... I dreamed of being a cute pregnant mom! I had a beautiful belly for any beautiful maternity top! The hardest part of my pregnancy was not being able to buy maternity clothing. Not being able to dress my body to show that I was SO excited to be pregnant! I spent 8 months of my pregnancy wearing the "belly band" so I wouldn't have to pay for new pants, and squeezing into my non-maternity tops with long undershirts, so I wouldn't look like a hill billy! Month 9 we had to cave and get me 3 maternity shirts. One for work, a sweater so I could stay warm, and a dress shirt... All of which were on sale! Most of my pregnancy was in the fall/winter, and to "save" money, I didn't buy a winter coat I could fit into... Luckily I was pretty warm my entire pregnancy, so I would just put a sweater on... Probably not an important rant, I just wanted to tell you something that made me sad to give up for our goal.)
 
After Eden was born, we re-evaluated our finances, and put together a new budget. MORE SACRIFICE. There were so many times where I would think, "how could we possibly sacrifice more?!?" We're already not considered American!
 
By summer 2011 All of our credit card debt was GONE! We held the deeds to our 1998 Toyota Camery, and a 2008 Dodge Ram!!! Do we really own BOTH of our vehicles!?!? I feel like that is rare? Maybe not?
 
In effort to pay off my smaller student loan, we started eating more rice and beans. Never bland, thanks to my husband's Colombian heritage! Rice boiled with lime and cilantro, and beans with Smoked Paprika, Cumin, Cayenne pepper, Coriander, Cocoa, Onion, garlic, and salt... Throw some tomato, onion, and avocado on top and you feel RICH!
 
We paid all but $2,000 of my small student loan off, and decided to use part of our tax return to finish off that loan... How does it feel to pay this off? ummm... Are there words?!?!?!
 
As of February 19th, 2013(today) We have paid of $31,000! We did not completely meet our goal of $54,000 in two years... However, we got an unexpected surprise that is worth way more that $23,000! Little miss Eden girl!
 
We were given the opportunity to move into my grandfather's house until it sells to keep the house "lived in". We are still on the same old track of paying off our last student loan, but THERE'S A BATHROOM!!! It feels like the Lord has handed us a gift, and said "Okay Andrew and Elizabeth, just rest now. Take a break. Kick back and relax.
 
I can't begin to tell you what we had to sacrifice in order to pay off what we did. My entire marriage has been devoted to paying of debt. We have sacrificed our wants and desires, we have sacrificed each other, in order to do this... It has not been easy. Sometimes when I think back over the past two and a half years, I just want to cry. I'm still overwhelmed with how we lived to take down this debt mountain!
 
As much as I don't want to post this last picture, I feel that I should.
 
 
This is a picture of us after hiking one of our favorite hikes. We are gross, sweaty, and exhausted. Today, this is how I feel. I wanted to write this part of our story today because I felt discouragement creaping in... I needed to remember where we were, and how far we have come! The mountain has been moved!
 
 
If we can do it... You can do it!
 

3 comments:

  1. I had no idea, you are both so strong and amazing people! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it, and you aren't alone in this push to get rid of debt. We made the decision to take on debt to send John back to school, rather than save for mult. years and then go back . . . still have no regrets on that decision, and 3 1/2 years in to paying off 84K, down to less than 23K with about 10 months to go . . . you can do it! (We grocery shop at Walmart, too! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurel!!! Since writing that post, I'm finding that we are definately not alone in this! It's so encouraging to hear other people's stories about how they are getting out of debt! We have about $20,000 left, and my husband is going back to school in September! Thankfully the USCG will be paying for school, but income will be extremely tight to keep on this paying down track! We'll have to find more creative ways to do it! So if you have any tricks up your sleeve you can share, please let me know!

      Delete